This week: Healthy housing market, hotel room boom and buy-to-let boost
Lots of positive news has come out of the industry this week, as the housing market continues to make headlines and attract attention from the government. Housebuilding continues to be a strong sector, while hotel investments are also proving a lucrative investment choice for many investors, although traditional buy-to-lets are still holding their own despite the regulatory changes afoot. Here are seven things you might have missed this week…
1. UK affordable housing backed by world’s largest property investor
New-York based private equity fund Blackstone is investing in the UK’s Sage Housing Association to help the firm buy affordable housing allocations from developers.
2. London house prices fell in 2017: what’s next for the capital?
For the first time in eight years, property prices in London went into reverse with a 0.5% dip in value, while the rest of the UK saw a minor rise.
3. Theresa May’s cabinet reshuffle makes housing a top priority
Prime Minister Theresa May has overhauled her cabinet with an array of sackings and promotions, making Sajid Javid the UK’s new housing secretary.
4. Top UK housebuilder sees revenues soar in ‘healthy’ housing market
The UK’s second largest housebuilder, Persimmon Homes, recorded a 9% boost to its revenues in 2017 with full-year profits expected to be 20% higher than the previous year.
5. If you’re considering investing in the hotel market, business is booming…
The UK hotel market finished 2017 with gains of 32% on the previous year, hitting a total £5.4bn worth of investments from both the UK and overseas.
6. Smaller cities and towns in north-west could see revival in 2018
With the Greater Manchester Metro Mayor Andy Burnham expected to be given more powers in the coming year, we could see a greater focus on non-core areas of the north-west.
7. Here’s why the future’s looking brighter for buy-to-let
The buy-to-let market has seen some significant changes recently, leaving many wondering what the future has to offer in a tough marketplace in 2018.
The post This week: Healthy housing market, hotel room boom and buy-to-let boost appeared first on BuyAssociation.