Easy Realtors, Pushing Through, Nest County Fair | Note from Jim, October 2016
Archives of my subscription-only monthly notes. The blog is more searchable. Interested in not waiting a few months to read it? Learn more here. For these posts, I don’t do much formatting/changing as I’m more concerned about simply having the content here (because I own the blog, and not Tinyletter)
Some months, you have it. Some you don’t. This month is one of those “don’t” months. Next month’s note will be complete. Apologies for the “meh” note.
What are you going to do?
There’s a saying on the internet (and in real life) – Be Nice To Everyone You Meet. They’re Fighting A Battle You Have Absolutely No Idea About.
I know that every client with whom I work, every person with whom I interact, is going through something that 1) they’re likely not going to tell me
2) are trying to conceal
3) is affecting them and their decision making either positively or negatively.
Life, death, divorce, new kid, kid moving out, dog dying, new puppy, juggling single-parenthood … many if not most of us frequently face traumas that affect how they approach the home search/sale trauma. Empathy matters. As does compartmentalized, professional detachment; keeping the detached empathy in check is a skill not taught in any of the real estate book (deliberate singular) that I studied.
Be nice. Life is hard for many.
Short analysis: many home values are rising, some too much, too fast, in my opinion. Other values are stable. Your micro market will vary. (questions: ask)
Three relevant market related posts
- ??3rd Quarter 2016 Charlottesville Real Estate Market Report
- Macro Economic Real Estate Trends – Talk by Lawrence Yun with NAR
- Crozet Real Estate Market Update for 3rd Quarter; I really enjoy our doing these videos. (click the image to the right)
If you’re thinking about selling in the spring, start that conversation now.
“Is it really easy to become a realtor? It seems that a lot of people I know become real estate agents when they semi-retire.”
Nest County Fair
- 3,600 desserts
- 2,300 guests
- 625 pounds of mac and cheese
- 1 umbrella lost
Thank you for donating to the Boys and Girls Club
You helped me reach my goal last month; and importantly, helped a lot of kidsin the Charlottesville – Albemarle area. Thank you.
The Election is Almost Over!
- Would You Buy a House In (or near) a Flood Plain?
- Making a Rash Homebuying Decision
- Market Street Plaza Renamed – Now West2nd
- A Disco Ball, House under Construction, and Trespassing
- (Urban) Planning for Self-Driving Cars
- About that snob zoning story
- CCAC meeting recap – local government matters, folks.
- Crozet is getting a bike shop
- Crozet needs a dictator
What I’m Reading
- This Map Plots the Geocoordinates You May Have Accidentally Left Behind in Digital Photos | Atlas Obscura
- Hackable insulin pumps; this won’t end well.
- We Need to Save the Internet from the Internet of Things – If you don’t yet know about the Internet of Things, you will.
- That connected device already knows your mom’s maiden name
- I read recently a good tip – when filling out those security questions (mother’s maiden name, first car, first job, etc) – treat those answers as passwords.
- Musk Bans Tesla Drivers From Ridesharing Their Cars, Will Roll Out its Own Program
- Hacked Cameras, DVRs Powered Today’s Massive Internet Outage
Jim on: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Subscribe to RealCentralVA | Jim’s Instagram
Jim Duncan, Nest Realty, 126 Garrett Street Suite D, Charlottesville, VA 22902. Licensed real estate agent in Commonwealth of VA.